FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
EVENT: Cuba: From Inside and Out
An exhibition by American and Cuban Photographers
DATES: November 1 – December 6, 2010
Opening Reception – Thursday, November 4, 5:00 – 7:00 PM\
LOCATION: Krause Center for Innovation, Foothill College
CONTACT: Ron Herman, email@example.com; 650.949.7082
Lori Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org; 650.949.7258
Los Altos Hills, CA (October 15, 2010) The photographic exhibit, Cuba: From Inside and Out, is the result of a unique collaboration between 18 Foothill College and 18 Cuban photographers. It will be on display at the Krause Center for Innovation (KCI) gallery, November 1 through December 6, 2010. The opening reception for the exhibit will be held, Thursday, November 4 from 5 - 7 PM.
“Cuba: From Inside and Out” captures moments in Cuban life as seen through the lenses of both American and Cuban photographers. In September, 18 US photographers, led by art photographer and Foothill College professor Ron Herman, traveled to Cuba to participate in a research and cultural exchange program (organized by Global Exchange) that brought photographers from both countries together.
“This joint exhibition is just one of the many activities we participated in and shared with our Cuban counterparts,” explains Professor Herman. “In Cuba, we lectured, reviewed portfolios and exhibited work. These activities played a vital role in bringing our two photo communities together to exchange ideas and information. “Cuba: From Inside and Out” is just one link in the chain that connects American and Cuban photographers, and I hope we’ll see more creative collaborations in the future.”
While in Havana, the Foothill group also mounted an exhibit of photographs, “Postcards from California,” at the El Portal del Santo Angel Gallery in Havana Vieja and hosted a reception for Havana-based Cuban photographers. The collection of California photographs was gifted to the Fototeca de Cuba, Havana.
At the invitation of Professor Herman, 18 Havana-based photographers submitted work to be included in the KCI exhibit. These photographs will be shown as projected images to complement the wall-hung photographs taken by the American photographers.
“Being an American photographer in Cuba was an extraordinary experience on both a professional and personal level,” says exhibit curator, John Thacker. “The images we have on exhibit are very strong and my challenge as curator of the American photographs was to select and arrange them in a way that can best convey our, the outsider, vision of “inner” Cuba.
The Foothill College exhibitors are: Sharon Beach, Alejandra Chaverri, Barbara Buchholz Collins, Michael Collins, Harlan Crowder, Corinne DeBra, Matt Drown, Ron Herman, Susan Kanda, Mary Ellen Kaschub, Jan Laskowski, Sofia Milner Laskowski, Neeley Main, Susan Neville, Laura Oliphant, Bill Scull, Cynthia Sun, John Thacker.
Photographers exhibiting from Cuba are: Liudmila Velasco and Nelson Ramírez de Arellano, Alejandro González Méndez, Adrián Fernández Milanés, Mabel Llevat Soy, Guillermo Bello, Mario Diaz, Gonzalo Gonzalez Borges, Raül Cañibano Ercilla, Arien Chang Castan, Alex Castro, Jorge Gavilondo, Julio Larramendi, Perfecto Romero, Leysis Quesada Vera, José A. Figueroa, Manuel Piña, Ramòn M. Grandal, Lissette Solorzano.
The exhibit is located on the Lower Level, KCI Gallery at Foothill College 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022. Parking is $2.00. Please park in lot 4 and bring 8 quarters or 2 dollar bills for parking. KCI hours of operation are Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 8:30pm; Saturday: 9am - 5pm; Closed on Sunday.
Full resolution photos available. Please contact:
Mary Ellen Kaschub
Press Received: Media, Blog Mentions:
1.) Global Exchange - 10/21/10
- Reality Tours Blog - 10/21/10; "Photographing Cuba: Fifty years after the Revolution"
- Summary: Harlan Crowder tells the stories behind two of his favorite photographs
- (Posted on blog: October 21, 2010; by Corina Nolet)
2.) Palo Alto Online - Calendar - 10/28/10
- (Exhibits) - 10/28/10
sopecal/calendar.php?event_ start_date=10/28/2010&event_ end_date=&category=all
3.) Palo Alto Weekly - 10/29/10
- "Photos: Cuba Exhibition" - Oct. 29, 2010 (hard copy) issue; pg. 23
- Summary: 3-4 paragraph write-up -"In September, Foothill College professor Ron Herman took 18 photographers..."
4.) El Observador - 10/29/10 - 11/4/10 Edition
- The Cuba show was also covered in the San Jose, CA-based paper called El Observador
- http://www.el-observador.com => Click on 11/04/10 E-edition and then go to:
- Page 15 -> Entertainment section, article titled "Cuba por dentro y por fuera" por Rosario Vital, El Observador
- Summary: 9 paragraph story; "Un total de 18 fotografos de Foothill College y..."
- Page 18 -> Calendar section contains a mention of the show as well
5.) Los Altos Patch - 11/01/10 - 11/02/10
- "Introducing '5 Ways to Love Los Altos -- Today'"
- (New) Arts, Government column by Jennifer van der Kleut (See item #2); 11/01/10
- Foothill photography instructor Ron Herman calls it "the mystique of Cuba" that had intrigued him..."
- Imparte conferencia en la Fototeca de Cuba el profesor Ron Herman"
- Fotografía digital: Una nueva forma de mirar para el fotógrafo artístico..."
- Art: "Cuba from Inside and Out"
Foothill College is hosting an exhibition of images of Cuba taken in September by 18 U.S. photographers, led by art photographer and Foothill College professor Ron Herman. The photographs on display are the results of their research and cultural exchange program. Through Dec. 1 at the Krause Center for Innovation Gallery, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills. Free. Open Mon.-Fri., 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- "Cuba Captured in Photography Exhibit Featured at Opening Reception Tonight"